Polymer Therapeutics includes biologically active polymeric drugs and polymeric sequestrants, polymer-protein and polymer-drug conjugates, block copolymer micelles, and the supramolecular assemblies that form multi-component polyplexes designed to promote cytosolic delivery of genes, siRNAs and proteins. These constructs are amongst the most successful examples of first generation "Nanomedicines" with a growing number of products approved by Regulatory Authorities for routine clinical use and many others progressing through clinical trials as single agents or as components of combination therapy regimes. Recently, the first follow-on ("generic") Polymer Therapeutics have begun to emerge.
Developments in sophisticated synthetic chemistry are leading to the production of complex three-dimensional polymeric architectures, including dendrimers, dendronized polymers and self-assembling nano-sized particles, and many include new mechanisms for externally triggered degradation. Many polymeric compounds are also being developed to be used as imaging agents and theranostics. Furthermore, as clinical applications broaden to include treatments for infectious and inflammatory diseases, tissue repair and regeneration, and diseases of the ageing population, interest has grown around the application of biodegradable polymers for chronic treatments.
Objectives: Unlike other drug delivery symposia that have a broader remit, this unique conference series was specifically established to provide a forum for interdisciplinary exchange of state-of-the-art techniques and advances in knowledge relating to the design, clinical development and commercialization of Polymer Therapeutics. The key topics discussed are:
- POLYMERS - synthesis, safety, development to clinical use
- LINKERS - design, mechanisms for triggered degradation
- OPPORTUNITIES FOR TARGETING
- PROPOSED CLINICAL USE - models for determining in vitro and in vivo pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, safety
- CURRENT CLINICAL STATUS
- INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENT AND REGULATION
The 12th International Symposium on Polymer Therapeutics will provide:
- A chance for world-renowned scientists to share their recent research and vision for the future of Polymer Therapeutics to attendees in the context of interdisciplinary research at the interface of biology, chemistry, pharmaceutical sciences, and medicine.
- The latest and most exciting developments in polymer technology and the biological and clinical disciplines relating to Polymer Therapeutics.
- News on industrial and medical progress in the transfer of Polymer Therapeutics from the laboratory to the clinic.
- Great opportunities for the active participation of young scientists from around the world through a number of Travel Grants to support attendance.